There are many different types of foam padding to consider when shopping for a new mattress, but it is also important to consider how the foam is manufactured. Some polyfoam can contain harmful chemicals, and looking for CertiPUR-US certified foam is a way to make sure you are not exposed to these substances while you sleep.
The CertiPUR-US program was established in 2008 by US foam producers who were concerned that many imported foams were made with chemicals banned in the United States. CertiPUR-US certified foam is tested twice during its first year and then annually to make sure it meets the standard for content, emissions, and durability.
To be certified, flexible polyurethane foams must be:
- Made without ozone-depleting chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). Although CFCs were banned by the Montreal Protocol in 2000, some regions of the world still use them to manufacture foam.
- Made without flame retardants that have been identified as substances that may cause cancer, genetic defects, or damage fertility or an unborn child.
- Made without formaldehyde, a chemical that contributes to poor indoor air quality.
- Made without phthalates, a softening agent that was banned by the Consumer Product Safety Act in 2009. Phthalates have been connected to a variety of health problems including reproductive and developmental issues.
- Low Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) emissions, which are a major contributor for indoor air pollution. Foam samples are placed in a chamber for 72 hours to ensure they release less than 0.5 parts per million.
Sleep easy knowing the foam in your mattress is made with only certified materials and approved processes. Custom Mattress Makers uses the best raw materials to construct their mattresses. Along with low emission, GREENGUARD Certified water-based adhesive, Custom Mattress Makers uses CertiPUR-US foam in all of their mattresses.
Start exploring our catalog of options here:
- Cape- 6-inch Hybrid Coil Mattress
- Daytona- Firm Mattress
- Cocoa- Gel Mattress
- Cocoa- Soft Latex Mattress
- Cocoa- Firm Latex Mattress
Why should you choose Custom Mattress Makers for your mattress? First off, every material in a Custom Mattress Makers mattress is MADE IN THE USA. No imported products whatsoever. We also offer a combination of durability and comfort that is hard to beat. A keen focus on materials helped us to concentrate our efforts on thicker coils for our mattresses. This improves the longevity of our products. We also use high-density foam for the same reason. The final key to our success is creating just the right arrangement of coils within the mattresses. Custom Mattress Makers believes that a higher concentration of coils makes for the most comfortable sleeping experience.
Our team is always happy to answer your questions about sizing, materials, or our satisfaction guarantee. Need some extra help? Just start HERE and Custom Mattress Makers will take care of you.