Unpacking your new custom mattress
Mattress Unpacking Tips
Important note before we get started:
The mattress should be unpacked as soon as possible. We have tested mattresses compressed for the duration of 3 weeks with no issues, but would recommend opening it before then.
- *If the mattress is left compressed for longer than 3 weeks after delivery, structural issues may develop and could affect the warranty.
Ready to unpack? Let's go!
Your new mattress is compressed, rolled and boxed so it’s easy to ship and handle. Once you have it where you are going to use it, do the following (we find it easier to do if you have a helper for assistance):
- Open the end of the box using scissors or a box cutter. Inside one end, you'll find an informational postcard that outlines some important topics.
- Lay the box on its side and slide the wrapped mattress out.
- Position the mattress on your frame/foundation so there is room for it to safely unroll and unfold.
- Cut the first layer of plastic film using a pair of scissors, all the way across the roll. Keep in mind that we only want the plastic cut and not the mattress fabric underneath. *Scissors are the best tool to cut the film, as a razor blade may cut through to the bottom fabric. Once you've cut the film, simply pull the plastic towards you. This may be easier if your helper spins the mattress while you are pulling the plastic.
- The mattress will begin to unroll and unfold. Once the mattress is flat on the bed surface, you can then cut the final plastic bag and remove it completely. At first sight, there may be some wrinkling along the top and side panels. This is completely normal and after a short period of time these wrinkles will smooth out and the mattress will lay flat. Please allow the mattress to rest by itself with no sheets added for at least 3 hours after unpacking. This gives the coils and upholstery materials the proper time to expand to their original shape.
- If after waiting a few hours the mattress still seems under or oversized, feel free to grab one end of the mattress by the tape edge and pull or push. Sometimes the packing process can cause the coils to squeeze together or push apart a bit - which can be corrected by helping it stretch and expand to full size. Watch a short video on how this is done here: https://youtu.be/bfhs4C72z94.
Another way to help the mattress relax is stretching both sides at the same time. This works best with one person holding one end of the mattress while the other pulls/shakes on the other side.
- You're all done!
*For standard rectangular shaped mattresses, it's recommended to rotate your mattress from head to toe once every 1-2 months.