Supporting your mattress correctly
What can I place my mattress on for proper support?
- Any of the following can be used to properly support a mattress:
- A firm, relatively new boxspring. The surface of the boxspring should be completely flat across with no "bowing" in the middle. If the boxspring is more than 8 years old, it should be replaced.
- A platform style bed frame with a roll-out slat system. The gap in between each slat should be no more than 3". If the gap in between each slat is wider than 3", more slats should be added or a boxspring/foundation should to be used.
- A solid platform surface (foundation). The surface should be sturdy and completely flat, free from impressions. Keep in mind that the entire mattress must be supported evenly from edge to edge.
- An adjustable bed. All mattresses on this website are designed to work with adjustable beds.
- All bed frame sizes 53” x 75” (full) and larger must have at least one (1) leg extending to the floor near the center of the bed. This includes queen size. Most modern bed frames will have the center legs pre-installed, but not all. A majority of older style "antique" frames do not have center legs installed. These can be added using a piece of wood that extends from a center slat down to the floor.
- All bed sizes 76” x 80” (king) and larger must have at least two (2) legs extending to the floor, near the center of the bed.
- Center support, for mattress sizes listed above, is extremely important. Bed frames that lack center support can cause the mattress to “bow” towards the middle. This causes premature sagging and makes the mattress feel much softer than intended. Lack of proper center support will void the mattress warranty. To receive full benefit of your new mattress, please be sure your bed frame meets these requirements.
*At this time we do not offer nationwide shipping for boxspring/foundations. However, we do have plans to do so in the near future. If you are in need of a new boxspring, we recommend visiting a local retailer near you to purchase.